Flamenco lover, this post is dedicated to you.
Last week I asked some students what they loved about flamenco. (I asked myself too.) Our answers became the list below. Following the list you'll find the video that inspired one reader to begin dancing flamenco along with a downloadable valentine for you.
What We Love About Flamenco:
- The challenge
- The community
- The emotion
- The elegance
- The passion
- The boldness
- The rhythm
- The beauty
- The focus
- The complexity
- The communication
- The music
- The history
- The structure
- The jaleos
- The layers
- The intensity
- The soulful singing
- The way it makes me feel
- The expressive movement of the dance
- The multiple elements one needs to follow
- The sensation of being empowered to fully be myself
- The combination of precision/technique with expression/interpretation
- There is no competitive aspect to it except to see what I can do
- How my brain focuses only on exactly what I’m doing at the moment and I stop thinking about all the other things I worry about during the day
- It is beautiful and hard at the same time
- It teaches me about life
- It is deeply authentic
- It pushes me to go outside of my comfort zone
- It speaks to my soul
- It’s not just learning some dance steps, it’s learning a culture, it’s history, a feeling, a song and it’s lyrics, a rhythm
- It is a dance form that can be an in depth, lifelong study or practiced for the pure enjoyment of moving in the moment
- It is a powerful, and passionate dance that expresses the emotion of the dancer and the singer
- It’s a perfect balance between pushing my limits of physical coordination and rediscovering my musicality
- Being able to actually feel things when seeing certain people dance ...
That last one came from a reader on this day last year. "It was what motivated me to start dancing," she shared. "Here is the video that started it all for me. It may seem funny because it is all men, but I knew I wanted to do it after seeing this!"
I love this clip for Valentine's Day. They're dancing for a wedding. What could be more perfect than that?
I made you a valentine, and you can download it here.
I know there's even more to love about flamenco. So tell me, what do YOU love about flamenco? Let us know in the comments below.
Happy Valentine's Day!
(A BIG thank you to all of the students who contributed to today's post. ¡Gracias!)