Workshop 2 of the Understanding Tangos Series:
Tangos The Next Step (Eastisde Location) Summer Workshop: August 26 & 27
LOCATION: 226 SE Madison St. Portland
- Learn the things you wish you knew about tangos
- Put them into practice with cante and guitar
- And get an ebook, so you don't have to leave it all in the studio
TRULY understand the structure of tangos and how to respond to the cante. Leave this workshop with a full tangos choreography (including all of the necessary components of the structure) that you can dance by yourself, in compás, with the cante along with the ability to accompany others with palmas.
When & Cost*
Saturday, August 26 [2:30 - 4:30]
Sunday, August 27 [12:30 - 2:30]
$80* [includes 4 hours of classes, ebook & guitar accompaniment]
$70 if you've taken this workshop before ($120 for both Tangos: The Next Step & The Ins & Outs of Tangos)
226 SE Madison Street, Portland, OR 97214
How do I sign up?
Contact us to register.
What will I learn?
- A tangos piece with all of the necessary components
- How to make a tangos choreography your own
- Examples and practice adapting your choreography to different situations with the cante
- How to mix and match the components of the dance
- Where to add or subtract from your choreography and why
- How to adapt your choreography to reflect different situations with the cante (in other words, how to follow the letra without abandoning your choreography)
- What to do when the cante seems to throw you off
- How to dance a tangos by yourself, in compás and with the guitarra & cante
What else do I get?
An ebook addressing the concepts covered in the classes to support your learning and further your understanding. To clarify common questions and act as your reference both during and once the workshop is over. In other words, it's a big, helpful reference to use for the rest of your tangos life. (The thing for you if you like clear explanations.)
"One of the best things about the workshop was being able to have 3 days of classes in a row. The other great advantage is focusing and concentrating on one particular palo that includes all components and putting it into practice. I learned terminology, structure, choreography and how to integrate that with the cante. It gives you tools and a strong foundation; it takes away some of the fear so you can begin to 'play' with your own moves and choreography. You also receive the e-book; it's incredibly detailed and reviews all that we learned in the classes. Laura's teaching style is fun! organized, and thorough. Leaves you wanting more" - Becky Poynter, "Biqui"
"Who wouldn’t want to learn how to do tangos por fiesta? For someone like me, who will never be of a performance level, learning the improvisational, por fiesta styles is awesome because I do flamenco for fun, and what is more fun than a) a fiesta, and b) knowing what to do in a flamenco fiesta? (I’m still learning though.) The BEST thing about the tangos workshop was learning that you CAN improvise in something other than bulerias, and learning the first step on how to do that. Laura’s teaching is encouraging, thorough (so you understand what you’re doing and why and what it means), and challenging (but not frustrating)." - Amy Brownell
"Great job giving options to steps...that was a big help." - Valerie Allen
*Purchase of this workshop in non-refundable and non-transferable. *Workshop may not be taken by drop-in or class card without instructor permission.